The Advantages and Disadvantages of Working from Home.
I want to work from home, that is all I hear lately. We have had our own home based business for the last decade. We designed it that way. It seems to be the trend that more and more people want to work from home or have a home based business. I enjoy it and would never want to give it up but it does have it’s disadvantages.
- Growth-this can be limited by your local zoning laws, space or because you have to be careful who you bring into your home. I have training in addiction therapy but I do not want that element in my home. I meet with a lot of people that I am meeting for the first time, I am bringing them to my home. But there is a difference between having your business in your home and having a business that is based out from your home. With my Chiropractic
practice I see people in my home with my Network Marketing business it is based out of my home, I can go out and see the prospects. Luckily you will always attract what is necessary as long as you have that frame of mind. I usually will not attract a patient that wants a super modern professional environment, and if they do come in they would probably leave promptly. I
am more family, laid back, environment. When designing your office figure out who you want to attract.
- Discipline- it requires allot of discipline to stay focused on your business when there are so many things to do at home. You need to do everything in your power to make sure that your business and home are separate. That you are entering a different environment and switching into work mode.
- Interruptions. Your family needs to understand that although you are at home that you are not really available for every little thing. That unless it is an emergency- you are at work. Imagine how many things come up during the course of a day. For example my wife is trying to talk to me right now- which breaks my concentration and makes me crazy honey! I AM working!!!
- Can see your family- One of my favorite things about working from home is being able to be with my daughter, but this turns out to be one of the disadvantages as well. Creating rules for the office is very important.
- Commute is fast- have you ever wonder how much time you would save if you did not have to travel back and forth from work. Especially if you have a nine to five. You end up traveling when everyone else is on the road so it takes you twice as long to get home. I don’t travel when others are on the road.
- Your lease is the same as your mortgage- If you have your own business this is a great savings. If you work from home, well this might not be an excellent way of saving because your utility bill does go up.
Over all the advantages of being home far outweigh the disadvantages. The most dangerous disadvantage is that of concentration and focus. It is very easy to lose focus in your own home based business. This is one of the biggest problems I see with the people I coach. They can find a million things to distract them from doing their income producing activities. My biggest word of advice when you are contemplating working form home is to make sure that you have a period of concentrated time that you work on income producing activities. One of the little tricks I learned is to use a timer. Go into your office, pick a task, set the timer for 50 minutes and just have total concentration on that task. It could be calling prospects back, calling distributors and making sure they are plugging in the system, calling customers and selling products or writing an article. What ever ti is give it your total concentration. Multi-tasking is over rated and actually counterproductive. Don’t let anything interrupt you. No answering voice mails, emails, skype, instant messages or facebook chats. No wife or husband interruptions. Nothing. I have a sing unfortunately I don’t always put it up. Especially when I am writing articles in between patients. That is not multitasking it is parallel tasking although it still breaks my article writing concentration.
Ps. If you want to get updates like this or work with me just go up to the the top right hand side of this web site and enter your name and email. Have a great day!
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!